Thursday, June 6, 2019

The Gift of Holy Orders

A few days ago, I received a card in the mail from our Director of Deacons here in the Diocese of Knoxville, Deacon Tim Elliott. It was clearly sent to all of us who are commemorating the anniversary of our ordinations this month, but the artwork or iconography on the front of the card spoke to my heart and spirit in a particular way.



It is Christ washing the feet of the Apostles, and in this particular case it reminds me of a homily that I delivered on Holy Thursday, one in which I explained the particular significance of the washing of the feet in the ancient Near East. I also expounded upon the reality that this particular act by Jesus to his disciples was an especially overt diaconal act, a sign of servitude, humility, and abiding service in love.

I know that many of my brothers will be celebrating the anniversary of their ordinations this month, whether in this diocese or other parts of the country. I often wonder how many of us take the time to stop and reflect on what this has meant to our lives, and what the sacramental grace of ordination has brought to our faith life and our service to others. 

Several weeks back I showed up for a Saturday evening Vigil Mass in just enough time to vest. I had not been scheduled to serve that evening, but for some reason I just took to the notion that I needed to go into the sacristy and get vested for Mass. 

When I arrived at the church I saw Father Patrick and two of my brother deacons already vested. Father has an "open Sacristy door" policy, wherein any of his deacons may assist any Mass being celebrated, whether we are scheduled or not. Father Patrick does not mind having two or three or more deacons in the sanctuary during Mass. However, as far as I knew I was the only one who took advantage of this policy regularly, primarily because I personally find that I receive a great many Graces in my own spiritual life when I serve at the altar with frequency. 

When I noticed that two of our three other deacons were already in the Sacristy, the first thought that occurred to me (that I initially had left unspoken) was "I thought I was the only one who regularly did this..." Father Patrick spoke up and announced that he had a cold and he had asked for the help of at least one other deacon. I explained that I did not want to disturb or be in the way, but I just had it on my mind to serve that evening. He said that I certainly had time to vest and should know that I would always be more than welcome, especially under the circumstances. Brother Deacon Jack Raymond helped me to get vested, and I went on to assist the Mass.

Before we left the Sacristy to proceed down the aisle for the Mass to begin, Father Patrick said a prayer, which he began "Lord, we thank you for the gift of Holy Orders!"

That is what we have truly received from the Lord, a gift, and a very special one. I will reflect on my own ordination a little closer to the time that it happened, but I want to say thank you to every deacon and every priest (for they are also deacons) that I know. Thank you for answering the Lord's call, thank you for devoting yourselves in service to the Lord's Church, thank you for your service to the people of God, especially to the poor. Thank you to your wives (those who are married) for saying yes to your yes and understanding your call, and your families for the sacrifice that they make.

Most of all, thank you for the example that you have been to me in my own ministry. Thank you for your love of God and the Church. As you all celebrate and remember the ministry that God has given you in the sacrament of Holy Orders, know that I am praying for you that you will have many joyous years of service. 

No comments:

Post a Comment