Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A brief reflection on...reflection

As you may have noticed, I have removed the clock in the left sidebar-at least for now. I have done this in part after reflecting for awhile on the words of a commenter to this blog that they felt distracted by the presence of the clock and the words above it-"Time Is Short." This person said that they loved this site, but that they come here for the "warmth and security" of the Lord's presence that they feel when they are here. I am truly humbled that there are those of you who see this blog as a place of reflection, and I want to be as good a pastoral influence as I can-no one who truly loves the Church as I do wants to lead people away from the things of God.

I still haven't given up the idea of a clock somewhere on the blog at some point in the future, however, but If one does return, I'd like it to look something like the clock on Father Martin Fox's blog. I think Father Martin still utilizes blogger's old HTML coding, which made it relatively easy to put a clock or anything else anywhere you wanted if you knew anything about the code-I'd love to find a more unobtrusive place if possible. However, this blog is one of Blogger's newer designs, and to be honest-I can't figure out the coding on it! I initially decided to try a widget that I could easily "figure out." Clearly, this may have been "easy" for me, but perhaps it resulted in a lack of good pastoral judgment on my part. If I may shamelessly quote the Holy Father, I beg you to please "forgive my defects."


Since some of you are using your visits here as a time to read and have spiritual reflection (something for which I am most unworthy compared to some others), I thought I might share a hymn with you for your prayer and meditation. If you are one of the few who have read this blog from the beginning you might recall that I posted a tribute on All Saints of 2011 to the late Father Chris Rohmiller, who helped guide me into the Church years ago. As I said in that post, Father Chris introduced me to a great many things that continue to inform my spirituality today, and a few things that filled my stomach that probably shouldn't have, like the fettuccine at Mamma DiSalvo's and at Giovanni's. Good for the soul if not for the bodily health!


One of the things Father Chris introduced me to in the time that he was a part of my spiritual life was the music of the Taize Community, which I still love today. This is my favorite Taize prayer hymn-"In the Lord I'll Be Ever Thankful."

3 comments:

  1. Mr. Oatney, this is so very beautiful - the candles and the video of the Taize prayer hymn, "In the Lord I'll Be Ever Thankful." The sound of the music, the meaning of the words - this is what people need from our spiritual leaders, encouragement and inspiration.

    I've been on a google search, just recently, trying to find blogs of people I have something in common with. Some of the priests' blogs are so dry that I feel sorry for them, they must feel so empty. Your blog is one of the very best around, and I am thankful for it!

    You truly have the heart of a servant, such fertile ground for a call from God to the deaconate or whatever you feel called to do. The fact that you are so docile, so eager to put aside your own plans, in order to meet the spiritual needs of someone looking to you for inspiration, is what makes you so very useful in doing the Lord's work - now, and later, hopefully as a deacon. Thanks so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you for these words, as I find this blog to be a very humble effort-I can think of dozens better! It is my hope, however, that what is written and seen here is a blessing to others.

    If I do go on, by God's grace, to be ordained, perhaps this work could be a part of my ministry as the Lord and the bishop sees fit and thinks best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tThis is and could continue to be a very valuable ministry to many people. I've had this flu bug for over ten days now, sitting at home alone, and your blog has ministered to me in a very generous way.

    I have played the Taize hymn so many times it has stopped working - I'm sorry if I broke it. I was able to find it on Youtube, after I broke it.

    If you want to understand how much a blog of this nature is needed, just try looking around on the internet, and see how great a need there is, particularly in this area. The few I find are so dry, so scholarly, so empty of spiritual nourishment, so empty of expression of the Lord's love for his people.

    ReplyDelete