Friday, December 28, 2012

The Holy Innocents

Lullay, Thou little tiny Child, 
By, by, lully, lullay. Lullay, 
Thou little tiny Child. 
By, by, lully, lullay.


 O sisters, too, how may we do,
 For to preserve this day; 
This poor Youngling for whom we sing, 
By, by, lully, lullay. 


Herod the King, in his raging, 
Charged he hath this day; 
His men of might, in his own sight, 
All children young, to slay. 


Then woe is me, poor Child, for Thee,
 And ever mourn and say;
 For Thy parting, neither say nor sing, 
By, by, lully, lullay.


Today the Church remembers some of the most innocent blood ever shed, the blood of little babies who were killed by the order of King Herod the Great when he, on hearing of the birth of the Messiah, became fearful and jealous for his own power. Herod's reaction was to have every newborn boy in the vicinity of Bethlehem killed by his own soldiers, because to his reckoning any of those little boys could have been the Christ. Herod sacrificed the blood of innocent children in order that he might save his own political fortunes. In this way, Herod wasn't unlike some of our so-called "leaders" today who think it good political policy to allow for the massacre of the unborn in the name of "choice." Some of these same leaders then wonder why our society has become so prone-and in such a deadly way-to violence, especially violence aimed at children (sometimes coming, God help us, even from other children).


Some historians and archaeologists question the Scriptural account of the massacre of the Innocents, but the Roman historian and politician Macrobius records it in his Saturnalia, saying that Herod had ordered a massacre of Jews two years old and younger, and that Herod had also, as part of this order, ordered that one of his sons also be killed (apparently because he was a threat to Herod). Upon hearing this, Macrobius records that Octavian Augustus said that "it is better to be Herod's pig than his son."


It is especially apt today to pray for children who have died or who are suffering as victims of abortion, war, famine, abuse, or needless disease. Today is especially a memorial and a remembrance for them.

Matthew 2:13-18:


When the magi had departed, behold,
   the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said,
   “Rise, take the child and his mother, flee to Egypt,
   and stay there until I tell you.
Herod is going to search for the child to destroy him.”
Joseph rose and took the child and his mother by night
   and departed for Egypt.
He stayed there until the death of Herod,
   that what the Lord had said through the prophet might be fulfilled,
   Out of Egypt I called my son.

When Herod realized that he had been deceived by the magi,
   he became furious.
He ordered the massacre of all the boys in Bethlehem and its vicinity
   two years old and under,
   in accordance with the time he had ascertained from the magi.
Then was fulfilled what had been said through Jeremiah the prophet:


   A voice was heard in Ramah,
      sobbing and loud lamentation;
   Rachel weeping for her children,
      and she would not be consoled,
      since they were no more.






 This version of The Coventry Carol is sung by the choir of the Cathedral of the Most Precious Blood, commonly called Westminster Cathedral, which is the seat of the Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster in England.

4 comments:

  1. How wonderfully soothing it is to hear this lovely music, after all of the many activities, in preparation for Christmas! This helps us to calm down and to focus on the meaning of Christmas.

    One of the things I love most about being Catholic is that we begin our observance of Christmas on Christmas, when some people, of other faith traditions, consider Christmas to be over.

    Your words about the evil of violence to babies and children are hard to hear, but very much needed. Is there anything, other than the denial of Our Lord Himself, that is worse than to harm innocent babies, children, or animals?

    Your words, shared here, are deeply meaningful, and gratefully received!

    May God bless you and Nicole with a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless you also with a wonderful and-pray God-a Holy New Year. You and all who visit my blog are a part of my prayers. I always pray that this little opus is a blessing to those who read it, and that in some small way it might aid in bringing some soul to a deeper faith in Christ.

    I also pray that those who read here might also pray for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we are praying for you, Mr. Oatney. We have heard, time and time again, about how rigorous the training is, which men must go through, in order to become ordained as deacons.

    Our personal experiences, in being greatly blessed by a number of deacons in this area, has caused us to know, first hand, how very valuable each deacon is, once they have completed the required studies and are ordained.

    We understand, also, the great faith and sacrifice which is required of wives of aspirants, in order to consistently support you, over a long period of time. May God bless and strengthen Nicole, as she continues on this journey with you.

    Your "opus" is indeed a blessing, what you write and the beautiful art work and videos you display here. I just keep thinking, "If this guy is this much of a blessing, here in his first year or so of aspirancy, how very powerful he will be, how very much potential he will have, once he is ordained."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bless you for these kind words which I am most unworthy of. I am strengthened in my heart by such support and by the prayers of many people who are unnamed.

    My journey is a long one-remember that I am only in my second year. I entered formation feeling very blessed to be a part of it and to have the opportunity to learn more about my faith. I continue with that attitude. In no way am I "entitled" to be ordained-being a deacon is a call from God, but that call is confirmed through Holy Mother Church. I have to listen both to the Spirit and to the Bride, and the day she calls my name at the altar, should that day come if it is the will of God, will be the day that you and I and the rest of the world will see the call. As I said in my New Year's Day post, I just couldn't do any of this without Nicole.

    I came feeling blessed and unworthy, called on a journey of faith by God in his unending mercy and grace extended to me. I continue feeling as though God is blessing me with each passing day and each month of learning, even as the challenges and the questions (like "what will my ministry be" and "in what way can I best serve" continue to mount. I will go on the path where he leads me, thankful that he continues to nurture me in his arms, and through his Mother's intercession.

    ReplyDelete